Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Spicy Slow Cooked Honey Ham and Sweet Potatoes

Spicy Slow Cooked Honey Ham and Sweet Potatoes

3 1/2 lb cooked boneless ham portion
4 med sweet potatoes, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp crushed red pepper


Place ham in 5-6 qt slow cooker.  Arrange potatoes and onions around it.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour over ham and veggies.  Cover and cook for 7-8 hours.  

I didn't like the way the outside of the ham tasted with the sweet potatoes cooked this way.   The inside of the ham (the part that didn't have the sweet potato flavor) was good and juicy though.  I would be willing to try this again WITHOUT the potatoes!  There was way too much liquid in the crockpot...not sure if it came from the ham or the sweet potatoes.  I don't remember where I found this recipe, but I've had it in my "to try" file for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment