Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Picadillo 4.7.09

Spicy Cuban Picadillo (from Pillsbury's Cooking With Ground Beef, April 2000, #230)

My opinion: this was bland...don't know how it got the word "spicy" tacked on to it. It was OK with my changes but not good enough to make me want to use this recipe again.

1 lb lean ground beef
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup raisins (I used dried cranberries cause they taste better than raisins!)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tsp Worcestershire (not part of the original recipe)
1/4 cup BBQ Sauce (not in the original, but it needed help so I added this)
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
Cooked Rice (the original called for instant rice, but the hubby doesn't like it, so I used "real" rice)

Brown the ground beef ina large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to crumble it. Drain. Add cumin, salt and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook 1-2 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring occasionally.

Add tomatoes, black beans, raisins, cilantro and lime juice and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Spoon beef and bean mixture over rice and serve. Top with sliced green onions if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment