Monday, April 27, 2009

Sausage Veggie Soup 4.27.09

OK, here's one of my favorite quick and easy dinners: Sausage Veggie Soup, served with Garlic Bread Sticks (New Yorks' Original Garlic Bread Sticks - in your handy dandy freezer case at the grocery store!) This is one of those meals that I go to when I forget to set something out of the freezer....I always keep a pound of Jimmy Dean Sausage that I have browned and crumbled, in the freezer. I do the same thing with ground chuck. So, here's the soup:

Sausage Veggie Soup

1 lb sausage (I like Jimmy Dean's reduced fat sausage but this is great with Hot or Sweet Italian too)
1 chopped onion
1-2 cloves minced garlic
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
Pepper (I use black pepper and a 6 Pepper Blend or some crushed red pepper flakes) to taste Italian Herbs to taste
1 16-24 oz jar your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 large container chicken stock
1 can dark red kidney beans or black beans
10-16 oz pkg frozen veggies (I usually use mixed vegetables but whatever's in the freezer is fine)

Brown the sausage in a large pot or Dutch Oven with the onions (throw in some chopped bell pepper if you want) and the garlic. When browned, splash in the Worcestershire and add pepper and herbs to taste. Pour in the spaghetti sauce, chicken stock and beans. Add water if too thick. Heat to a gentle boil until everything's hot. Add the vegetables and cook until done. Great with Garlic Toast. This is also good with a handful of small pasta....(which I cook separately so it doesn't get overdone), and add to the bowls before I ladle in the soup. I HATE overcooked pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment