Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sausage Chicken Creole 5.27.09

This is very good! (From Great American Favorite Brand Name Cookbook)

Sausage-Chicken Creole

1 can (14.5 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained and cut up (I used Diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes)
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup hot water
2 tsp Hot Sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I used closer to 1 tsp)
1/4 tsp dried oregano (I used 1 tsp)
16 oz bag frozen vegetable combination (broccoli, corn & red peppers), thawed and drained
1 c (2.8 oz) can French's French Fried Onions, divided
4 chicken thighs, skinned (I used boneless, skinless, pre-cooked chicken tenderloins)
1/2 lb (I used a whole pound) of skinless smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized slices and cooked
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 376 degrees. In a 12x8-inch baking dish, combine tomatoes, rice, hot water, Hot Sauce, garlic powder and oregano. Bake, covered, 10 minutes. Stir vegetables and half the Fried Onions into rice mixture; top with chicken and cooked sausage. Bake, covered, 40 minutes or until chicken is done. Top chicken with remaining Fried Onions; bake, uncovered 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Yummy!

I couldn't find a bag of Broccoli, Corn & Red Peppers at my Publix, so I used a 12 oz bag of whole kernel corn with peppers and a half a bag of Broccoli with Mushrooms and Water Chestnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment