Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oatmeal

My Favorite Oatmeal

1 1/2 cups + 2-3 Tbsp Quaker 1-Minute Oatmeal
Scant 2 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp maple extract
Pinch salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Put the water, maple extract, salt and cinnamon into a saucepan and bring to a full boil over high heat. Stir in the oats and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring occasionally. It should be about the consistency of boiling lava with the bubbles exploding with a plopping sound. If it's not, add more oatmeal! Immediately remove from heat, put the lid on it and let it set for 5 minutes. Serve hot.

This makes very thick oatmeal, which is the only way I can eat this stuff - if it's thin and slimey I WILL gag just looking at it! It needs to be thick enough to hold it's shape when you scoop it out of the pot. This makes enough for a small bowl for me and a big bowl for John. I like mine with a pat of butter and a little brown sugar. John has his with brown sugar and milk....he likes his slimey. I cannot watch him eat this. I know. I'm weird. But I can't help it. Needless to say, I don't make Oatmeal very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment