Thursday, March 18, 2010

Slow Cooked Corned Beef & Fried Cabbage

Slow Cooked Corned Beef

1 (3 lb) corned beef brisket
1 (12 oz) bottle beer
32 oz carton beef broth
1/4 cup peppercorns
1 bulb garlic, separated into cloves and peeled

Place the brisket into the crockpot and add all remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Carefully remove the meat from the pot and set on a cutting board for about 10 minutes before slicing. From allrecipes.com

Every 2 or 3 years I think I should cook corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day, even though I never liked it when I was growing up. This is the last year I'll be doing that because I can now honestly and truthfully say that I do NOT like corned beef AT ALL and I never will! (My apologies to my Irish ancestors.) I've tried several different ways of cooking the stuff over the years and I just plain don't care for it! John didn't like it either and this recipe got all kinds of rave reviews at allrecipes.


Fried Cabbage

3 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 pkg finely shredded cabbage
2 tablespoons water
1 pinch white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Remove bacon, and set aside. Cook onion in the hot bacon grease until tender. Add cabbage, and stir in water, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook until cabbage wilts, about 15 minutes. Stir in bacon. Splash with vinegar before serving. Also from allrecipes.com

Verdict: I do not like cooked cabbage so I only tasted a tiny bit to see if maybe my opinion might have changed since the last time I tried it. It hasn't. The stuff tastes awful to me. John, on the other hand, says he loved it and gave it 5 stars! He's already planning when he's going to cook it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment