Saturday, May 17, 2014

Southern Pea Salad

1 (16 ounce) package frozen sweet peas, thawed and uncooked 
2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
4 to 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled or 1 cup ham, cooked and chopped, optional
1/2 cup chopped green onion (could use regular onion)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (can use any kind of cheese)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds or 1/2 cup celery, chopped
dash cayenne
1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

Combine uncooked, thawed peas, eggs, bacon or ham or both, onion, cheese, pepper, salt, garlic powder, celery seeds or celery and cayenne in a salad bowl.  Mix in the mayonnaise and sour cream.  Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.


I used bacon instead of the ham and celery seeds instead of celery.  My husband loved this and it looked lovely.  I should have loved it too, but for some reason, I didn't.  I guess my favorite will always be my Mom's Pea Salad, which is much simpler and more to my taste.  This was good, but I'll be sticking with Mom's from now on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment