Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Indian Tacos

Indian Tacos

For the Frybread:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ cup water
  • Additional ¼ cup flour for shaping
  • 2 cups oil for frying
For the Indian Tacos:
  • 4 cooked frybreads
  • Cooked pinto beans  (I just added a can of chili beans to my taco meat)
  • Taco meat (I used 1 lb of ground chuck with a packet of Taco Seasoning)
  • shredded cheese
  • lettuce, tomato, onion
  • hot sauce, pickled jalapenos, sour cream
  1. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Combine milk and water in a separate cup.
  2. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir with a fork to mix well. You will have a soft dough.
  3. Flour your countertop well with the remaining ¼ cup flour and coat your hands, too.
  4. Shape the dough into a cylinder and cut into 4 pieces.
  5. Pat each piece out into a circle about ⅓" thick (1 cm) and 6" across.
  6. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F and fry breads one at a time, for about 2 minutes on each side.
  7. Drain upright.
  8. Serve topped with beans, meat, cheese, and vegetables of your choice.
Recipe from http://hilahcooking.com/indian-taco-recipe/

I was a little worried about making the Frybread since I usually don't have much luck with biscuit/pie doughs.  I'm too heavy handed I guess, but this recipe was easy and they turned out great!  I highly recommend Hilah's Video (see page link above)...she made me feel very comfortable with the dough and frying it!  

Bottom Line....these are great and I will be making them again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment