Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Scottish Pancakes

So, whilst browsing on Pinterest the other day, I came across a recipe for Scottish Pancakes.  Here's the picture:
Wow!  Just look at those beautiful, fluffy, TALL pancakes!  These are the most beautiful pancakes I've ever seen!!  Made my mouth water!  So, I tracked down the recipe at http://diethood.com/scottish-pancakes/ and made them for breakfast this morning.  
Here's the recipe:

Scottish Pancakes

2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Butter
Syrup or Honey and Berries, if desired for topping

Beat the eggs and milk until foamy.  Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon. Whisk the flour mixture into the milk mixture  just until combined.  Let stand 15 minutes.

Heat a griddle until it's hot, then coat the surface with a little butter.  Drop 1/8 cup of batter on the griddle to form the pancakes and cook until they start to rise up and bubble, then flip them over and cook until golden brown.  I made about 20 pancakes this way. 

And they didn't look anything at all like the beauties on Pinterest!  Very disappointing.  They tasted good....a little dense, but they were OK.  Here's a picture of mine:

They look like regular pancakes.  So, back to the original blog post I went to see what I did wrong.  Hmmm.  I followed the recipe exactly.  Then I read the reviews.  Ah hah!  If I had read the entire post (instead of just looking at the gorgeous pictures!) I would have seen that she cooked her pancakes in biscuit rings!  Light Bulb moment!!!

This recipe is not as good as some others I've made over the years...I bet I could use one of my favorites, cook them in my English Muffin rings and force them to rise up in fluffy gloriousness!  I'll try that one day.  Maybe.  We all know I'm a lazy cook and making them in rings sounds kinda time consuming.  

No comments:

Post a Comment