Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Marble Cake


I found a link to the inspiration for this cake on pinterest and it looked so incredibly good that I just had to try it. Problem was, I had no fresh or frozen blueberries and I was too lazy to go to the grocery store to buy some. I DID have a jar of blueberry preserves though and a well stocked pantry! Hmmmm....let's try this:

Lemon Blueberry Marble Cake

12 oz jar blueberry preserves
1 large lemon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 pkg lemon cake mix, plus whatever other ingredients that mix calls for
1 stick butter, softened
1 lb confectioner's sugar

Zest the lemon. Reserve the lemon for the frosting.

For the Blueberry Filling: Combine 1 tsp of the lemon zest, the ginger and 3/4 of the jar of blueberry preserves in a small bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.

Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions, adding about half of the remaining lemon zest to the batter. Remove 3/4 cup of batter to a small bowl and reserve. Divide the remaining batter between 2 greased and floured (or hit 'em with Baking Pam!) 8" round pans.

Add 2 Tbsp blueberry preserves from the amount left in the jar to the reserved batter and beat well. Spoon/drizzle blueberry batter over the filled pans and swirl/marble with a knife or skewer. Bake at 350^ F until cakes are done. Remove from pans and cool thoroughly on wire racks.

For the frosting, beat the softened butter, remaining lemon zest, powdered sugar and enough lemon juice (I needed all the juice that lemon had!) to make a smooth and spreadable icing.

Spread the blueberry filling over the top of one of the cake layers. Top with remaining cake layer and frost the top and sides with the Lemon Frosting. Refrigerate until serving time.

I loved it! I bet the original is phenomenal and I'll have to try it one day (when I have blueberries!)









No comments:

Post a Comment