Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cathy's Favorite New Year's Greens

I hate Greens. Truly. But every year of my life Greens are on the menu for New Year's Day. It's tradition. As a Southerner you are obliged to eat them to ensure a prosperous new year. So I would choke down a few bites every year until I had about as much wealth as I thought I could stand and then I would have a whole year before having to face them again.

But this year, I have finally found THE recipe for this disgusting vegetable dish that I actually (gasp!) LIKED!!! Thanks to Rachael Ray for the inspiration! She's my hero! (heroine?) Here's my adaptation of her recipe for "Smoky Greens with Cranberries", henceforth to be known as "Cathy's Favorite New Years Greens"!

2 pkgs frozen turnip greens
1 pkg frozen turnip greens with diced turnips
32 oz carton chicken broth
1 smoked pork neckbone (about the size of your fist)
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste
A handful for dried cranberries

In a large stockpot, combine the chicken broth, nutmeg, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add the neckbone and the greens and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until as done as you like them (about an hour at my house!). Stir in the cranberries and cook until they plump up a bit. That's it. You're done!

And these are really, really good! I could eat these more than once a year - and I intend to! Rachael's recipe actually called for Kale, but Publix was completely out of those - however, I'll be trying them in this dish soon! Happy New Year! Mine's gonna be PROSPEROUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment