Saturday, March 8, 2014

Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

I found this recipe at www.novicehousewife.com and the story and pictures inspired me to try it.  Love her blog!  This spaghetti sauce is absolutely delicious and I will definitely be making it again!  Here's my adaptation (based on what I had in my pantry when I decided to make this):

Shumaila's Dad's Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

3 Tbsp olive oil
3 tsp minced garlic
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground round
Salt and pepper to taste
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup milk
28-oz can diced tomatoes
6-oz can tomato paste
1 cup V-8 juice
1/2 tsp crushed red chili peppers
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp sugar
1 lb spaghetti, cooked
1 cup pasta water (to thin down the sauce, if required)
Grated Parmesan

Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet.  Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots and cook about 8 minutes or until tender.  Stir in the ground round with some salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring often until the meat is browned and crumbled really well.  Stir in the Worcestershire sauce while the meat is browning.

Add the milk, cover and cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes or until the milk has completely evaporated.

Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, V-8, chili peppers, basil, oregano, parsley and sugar and cook uncovered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Add some of the hot pasta water if you like a thinner sauce.  I didn't...I like 'em thick!

Serve over the hot cooked spaghetti with a sprinkle of parmesan, if desired.

This is a really good sauce and the leftovers are even better the next day!









No comments:

Post a Comment